Wednesday 21 August 2013

Chortitza descendent oak, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Chortitza descendent oak, NOTL; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
I'm currently smitten with Chortitza descendent oaks and have an unwritten goal to visit as many as possible. So far, I've hung out with two: one in Niagara-on-the-Lake and another in Leamington. Through the grapevine I've heard of others, planted here and there. So far, I've visited this oak twice and gathered a few leaves for rubbings and to press. It's a friendly tree and I enjoy its company. It's a link to my Mennonite ancestors who gathered under the parent tree in South Russia (current day Ukraine).
Chortitza oak plaque, NOTL; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
I even took a rubbing of the plaque. It's a nice touch.
Chortitza descendent oak, NOTL; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Young leaves one month...
Chortitza descendent oak, NOTL; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
and lacy leaves a month later.

No comments: