Wednesday 4 February 2015

Triangles

Upholstery fabric; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Lately I've been learning how to piece right-angle triangles. An obsession with piecing hexagons naturally led to the mysteries of triangles. To prepare myself for the rigours of precision piecing (and the high probability of imprecision as I learn), I looked through my Gees Bend Quilt books to remind myself of the beauty of relaxed piecing styles. So far only one in four of my blocks of triangles match, but I've come to prefer the Wabi-sabiness of slightly mismatched points. As I play with piecing triangles, I've also been testing colours that are new to me. The upholstery fabric in the above image covered benches in the eating area at the California St. Whole Foods in San Francisco and it inspires me to push my piecing into new directions.

No comments: