Wednesday 3 May 2023

Quotes: Børge Ousland

Wellbeing is ...

"If I'm on an expedition, it can be as simple as a cup of lukewarm water – something you'd throw into the sink back at home. But, in a tent, when it is -40 degrees outside, it is the most wonderful thing. There is no wellbeing without a degree of suffering. Yet, wellbeing is also the ability to be present in your own life and to enjoy it. For me, that's the great thing about being an explorer. You are forced to be present in the moment; to focus on the the weather, the route or the terrain. On a good day, when the terrain isn't too dangerous, I will lift my head, take a good look around, and appreciate how privileged I am." 

–– Børge Ousland (b. 1962), Norwegian Polar explorer, writer and photographer 

Source: Elle Decoration UK, July 2017, p. 133. 

via: Sketchbook 31, 2021, p. 93.

No comments: