Friday 13 January 2023

Quotes: Marshall McLuhan

"I'm making explorations. I don't know where they're going to take me. ... I want to map new terrain rather than chart old landmarks... As an investigator, I have no fixed point of view, no commitment to any theory – my own or anyone else's. As a matter of fact, I'm completely ready to junk any statement I've ever made about any subject if events don't bear me out, or if I discover it isn't contributing to an understanding of the problem. The better part of my work on media is actually somewhat like a safe-cracker's. I don't know what's inside; maybe it's nothing. I just sit down and start to work. I grope, I listen, I test, I accept and discard; I try out different sequences – until the tumblers fall and the doors swing open." 

–– Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980), Canadian philosopher 

Source: Austin Kleon tumblr August 26, 2015 

via: Sketchbook 28, 2015, p. 2.

No comments: