Thursday 3 March 2011

Postcards: Pearl Van Geest

I collect artist postcards. The above postcards announce two exhibitions of work by Pearl Van Geest at Katherine Mulherin Gallery in Toronto in 2001 and 2004. I picked up the postcard on the left at the 2001 Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition. The previous day we took possession of our house (the worst house in a nice neighbourhood) and all we could do was dream of art and pick up free postcards.  My mantra that day was: new roof, new roof, new roof. I tucked the Skin Deep postcard on my journal, and every day I looked at it longingly as I wrote my Morning Pages. A few years ago, we finally bought one of Pearl's smaller kiss paintings and now it hangs in the dining room, where I look at it every day. Postcards are a small investment that can reap rewards. 

No comments: