Monday 22 December 2014

Quotes: John Cage

"The attitude I take is that everyday life is more interesting than forms of celebration, when we become aware of it. That when is when our intentions go down to zero. Then suddenly you notice that the world is magical." –– John Cage (1912-1992), American composer, author, artist (quote found in Every Day is a Good Day: The Visual Art of John Cage, by John Cage, Jeremy Millar et al., p. 62)

Recently I bought two John Cage books: the aforementioned text, and Where the Heart Beats: John Cage, Buddhism, and the Inner Life of Artists by Kay Larson at City Lights Books while in San Francisco. Since then, I've been engrossed (obsessed) with John Cage's influences, processes, and thinking. Both books are very well written and very readable and I can't put them down. I see several other John Cage books in my near future.

No comments: