Tuesday 23 October 2012

Fibreworks 2012: Petrina Ng

Petrina Ng Apparently forever isn't long enough (dog fur diamonds); Photo Credit: Karen Thiessen, 2012
From a distance Petrina Ng's Apparently forever isn't long enough (dog fur diamonds) didn't capture my attention. I almost walked on by and I'm glad I stopped to take a closer look. The work is quiet, subdued, deep. 
Petrina Ng Apparently forever isn't long enough; Photo Credit: Karen Thiessen, 2012
Petrina felted seven diamonds from a decade of collected fur of her now deceased childhood pet dog. Her mother, probably the one who brushed the dog, collected the fur. She sounds like my mom who did the same thing with the fur of Nanook, our Siberian Husky. Petrina's act of making dog fur diamonds references a new trend of commissioning memorial diamonds that are made from compressed cremation remains. Who knew?
Petrina Ng Apparently forever isn't long enough detail; Photo credit: Karen Thiessen, 2012
The story behind these quiet objects drew me in and invited me to linger with them. Naturally, I'd like to know more about her dog. What breed was it? What was its name? If you go to Petrina's website, you'll learn that she offers two purchase options. One is to purchase a limited edition set of seven dog fur diamonds in a custom made vitrine. The second option is a limited edition set of  seven high-quality yellow diamonds made from seven dog fur diamonds, also in a custom made vitrine.

* Photographs taken with permission from Mary Misner, Director of Cambridge Galleries

No comments: