Friday 19 October 2012

Week 38: Adobe Illustrator

Crossed II © Karen Thiessen, 2012
By chance I stumbled across this pillow on the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild and I was blown away. From the get-go I could see that piecing crosses would take a lot of planning. Most of my quilt making is improvisational, so this boggles my mind. I decided to mock up a few cross patterns in Adobe Illustrator to get a feel for how one would go about piecing nestled crosses without going mad. A linear-thinking-recipe-follower could do it with ease. I could not. 
Crossed I © Karen Thiessen, 2012
But wait, I checked out the pillow maker's blog, veronicamade and followed her link to Sew, Mama, Sew! where I found instructions that even I, a divergent thinking contrarian, could follow. Using lightweight fusible interfacing and some sewing trickery, piecing a crosses quilt top would seem a lot like collage. Who knows, maybe one day I'll give it a try. 

2 comments:

Judy Martin said...

Thanks for introducing me to the TMQG
I went over to their blog and was very interested in some of those two sided quilts.

x

Karen Thiessen said...

Judy, I admired the two-sided quilts too-- especially their simple elegance.