Wednesday 28 January 2015

Myung Urso @ Velvet Da Vinci in San Francisco

Myung Urso necklace Parody; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Myung Urso necklace Parody: hand-dyed cotton, onyx beads, thread, sterling silver, lacquer; 3.25 X 14 X 1.25 inches, 2013

My favourite gallery in San Francisco is Velvet da Vinci. The exhibitions are well-curated and with each visit I discover a new artist. The art jewellery of Myung Urso was part of the Christmas exhibition and I was immediately taken with her fusion of textiles and jewellery.

Having lived in Singapore, then worked along side Korean and Chinese textile artists (at NSCAD and during my Harbourfront residency), and been an admirer of the work of Kai Chan, I've developed a deep appreciation for an Asian approach to materials and processes.
Myung Urso necklace Parody; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Born in South Korea, Myung Urso currently lives in Rochester, New York, USA.
Myung Urso necklace Parody; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Since early December, I've visited her website at least once a week and with work spanning eight years there is much to see. Her inventive use of materials is inspiring me to make samples with things I don't normally use in my studio practice. 
Myung Urso brooch The Flow; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Myung Urso brooch The Flow: silk, wood, thread, sterling silver; 5 X 4 X 1 inches, 2013

All photos taken at the invitation of the staff at Velvet da Vinci.

No comments: