Friday 30 January 2015

San Francisco colour + Poetic Memory

Painted Lady on Divisadero; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
My new Poetic Memory series is taking shape and I'm looking at colour in new ways. Colour palettes for previous textiles were along the lines of the above Painted Lady.
Doors in the Telegraph Hill neighbourhood; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Poetic Memory has invited me to venture into new colour territory and I've been playing with paint, collage, and some textile piecing to see the colours interact and to learn how to work with them. The two greens of the above doors are part of the new palette; the peach is not.
Leucadendron in Pacific Heights; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Leucadendron is my favourite flower and I was excited to see it growing in a garden a short walk from our hotel. Here in Canada I've only seen it in cut form at my local florist. The above image with its various pinks, greens, and greys epitomizes the Poetic Memory palette.

No comments: