Wednesday 9 May 2012

Studio Series: Stripy Log Cabin quilt

Stripy Log Cabin quilt ©Karen Thiessen 2012
Stripy Log Cabin quilt detail ©Karen Thiessen 2012
Stripy Log Cabin was just installed in a local space, adjacent to Fire 2. I've only seen these quilts up one at a time, so I am pleased to see them hung together. Stripy Log Cabin, Tangents, and Fire 2 are part of my Tangents series and I pieced the squares and subsequent quilts improvisationally. Improvisational piecing is equal parts fun, intense, and its opposite, relaxing. Once I am into the flow of piecing, I lose track of time and have difficulty stopping for any sort of break. It's like reading a mystery novel and not being able to put it down. If you have difficulty meditating, try improvisational piecing. Stripy Log Cabin is 69” wide X 91” long (175 cm X 231 cm).

No comments: