Wednesday 12 December 2012

Studio Series: Tags Study II

Panel of blue tags © Karen Thiessen, 2012
When I hand-stitch my tags, I adhere them to a large piece of fabric with 505 spray. Once I've finished stitching them all, I cut them away from the background fabric and add eyelets for hanging. Recently I brought this panel while it was in progress to a craft night and a colleague remarked that it was beautiful. She thought that the background fabric was part of the piece. That got me thinking about alternate ways of presenting the work... more options to consider.

2 comments:

Judy Martin said...

They are beautiful in this format.
Do you mean to tell me that the only way of achieving pattern on those individual tags is through machine stitch?
awesome

Karen Thiessen said...

Hi Judy,
I should have clarified: I've hand-stitched each tag -- slowly. A cool discovery was how the X's interrupted the pattern of the cloth (some of it Japanese, bought from Things Japanese). Thanks for the feedback!