Monday 25 March 2013

Hella Jongerius: Misfit

I ordered Hella Jongerius: Misfit from Amazon.ca late last summer and it arrived 8 months later. (If you go to the website, you'll notice that Amazon.ca no longer carries it, but copies are still available from Amazon.com) It was well worth the wait. Right now I'm in the midst of deadline heaven, so the work is intense. I take breaks on the sofa with this book, a quilt wrapped around me, and a mug of Japanese green tea by my side. The images and text inspire and refresh me.
I love how Jongerius thinks. I love her experimentation, playful products, and attention to detail.
The images and essays are well done. The cover image is customizable, and the book is bound with stitching.

I've been watching Six Feet Under while stitching. Character Claire Fischer is an art student who, in one episode, was looking at art books and magazines to "break open her eye" (to expand her appreciation of various art forms and styles). Hella Jongerius: Misfit does that for me and the timing couldn't be better.

No comments: